I'm mthree. Those are my initials. Always have been, and thanks to a hubby with a "M" last name; always will be.

I've been a designer for over ten years, I was an animator and a filmmaker once, I was a bride before I was a photographer, I'm a new business owner, but I've always been an artist.

You can get a glimpse of where I've been, a better look at where I am and a peek at where I'm going right here.



You gotta S -T-R-E-T-C-H your browser window to see the BIG pictures...



Sunday, January 13, 2008

What You can do (Part 2)



We interrupt our regularly scheduled TTD posts for a "What You Can Do to make your Photography Better" post. It's been awhile since I've done one of these, but I've been planning a few, this one in particular, for awhile. As always, these posts are meant as educational, and all are ways you can help me (or any photographer) take even better pictures for you. If you don't do any of these, you will still have great pictures, because I am equipped to handle these situations. But do take some of this advice and you can expect a super happy photographer who will hand you stunning photos that take your breath away.

Last night I met with a potential client who inspired me to post on this particular "What you can do" immediately. In every consultation, I ask a lot of questions about the couple's plans for their wedding day. And last night this bride mentioned, almost off-handily, that she has hired a lighting designer for her reception. I discuss lighting with all of my clients, but this is the first time a client valued it enough to already be three steps ahead of me. I got seriously excited about this one aspect of this wedding because it means I can really get some amazing shots that are going to positively sparkle with personality.

What you can do: Think Critically about your Lighting.
"My venue has lights, and they said they can dim them for us" - that is what the majority of you are thinking. Let me tell you, 90% of the really stunning wedding pictures you have seen and love are that great because of lighting. Great lighting in the space, and a photographer who knows how to use it. And a huge portion of your day - your reception- occurs in a venue where you have complete control over the lighting if you want to. Your ceremony may be outside, or in a church (where likely you have no control, but there is natural light windows) and natural light is fantabulous to work with-I'll choose that over all else in fact. But at night, during your reception the lights are low, maybe your DJ or Band has some lighting set up, but for the most part, the rest of the space is dark and flat.
You know when you walk into a really great restaurant or club and a feeling takes you over that this is something special, and inside you go "Ooooo". That happens because the mood and tone have been set very deliberately with lighting. Great lighting can enhance every one's perception and experience. It can hide things you aren't crazy about and direct attention where you want it. Think about your venue for a moment - unless you chose a knock-down architecturally amazing space, it could probably use a little help. Not crazy about the mauve-ish walls? Add colored light to change the tone. Dealing with what is essentially a big windowless box? Add some lighting and suddenly your space has dimension. I can guarantee you that the big fancy chandeliers hanging from the ceiling aren't going to be enough to transform the space. Lighting is NOT only for those eligible for "Platinum Weddings" ! The rest of us can have amazingly lit weddings too. I swear.
Hiring a lighting designer isn't as expensive as you would think and the value it adds to your look can be tremendous. You can get away with much simpler linens and centerpieces if you have lit the space beautifully. And that is just the basics. Pin-spot your cake for high drama. Add a monogrammed gobo light to your dance floor for a signature look sure to get noticed. Let the color change from dinner to dancing time. Project a beautiful silhouette on your plain tent walls to transform the feel.
The possibilities, if you are open to them, are endless. It doesn't cost you anything to get a quote. "Light My Wedding" has a really great article detailing some of the possibilities. Click Here to read it.
Some examples:








So say you do get a quote and it just won't fit in your already tapped-out budget. Now what? Candles people. Lots and lots of candles. I can testify this works with experience - for my own wedding we had over 700 candles. Everything that stood still had a candle on it, and the effect was gorgeous. Surfaces glowed, people were surrounded in some of the most flattering light available and the romance factor was high. I have also seen couples use Christmas lights or Chinese lanterns in very smart ways to elevate the wow factor. Here is some inspiration from around the Internet:



Still not convinced? Think about when you and your friends are out having fun - you look around on the dance floor or at the bar and everyone looks great. Then you get home and look in the mirror - and ugh, how could you have thought you looked good? The lights in your bathroom are usually harsh, not flattering. The lighting in that club - flattering. (The same holds true for just about any dressing room - fluorescent lighting is not your friend) At the very least make sure your DJ or Band comes with a lighting package of their own. I can do a lot with a spotlight and/or a well used disco ball.

Happy Planning!

(pictures are from Stortz Lighting, The Lighting Guy, TRLEvents, Light my Wedding, Bentley Meeker, Get-Light)

2 comments:

Monica said...

Yes!!! I love this series, and you nailed it once again. Lighting makes SUCH a big difference. And if a couple is having a hard time fitting it into their budget, they should consider less expensive linens or a less elaborate centerpiece --an excellent point! Lighting is so important-- it creates a feeling like you said, and guests will love it (though they may not even know why).

Darci said...

I am still catching up on my blog reading so I just read this post, but bravo! So informative, such great pictures, and it's great to hear all of this from a photographer who will actually use the light!