I'm mthree. Those are my initials. Always have been, and thanks to a hubby with a "M" last name; always will be.

I've been a designer for over ten years, I was an animator and a filmmaker once, I was a bride before I was a photographer, I'm a new business owner, but I've always been an artist.

You can get a glimpse of where I've been, a better look at where I am and a peek at where I'm going right here.



You gotta S -T-R-E-T-C-H your browser window to see the BIG pictures...



Monday, January 21, 2008

The New Rules of Bridal Shows

This post is inspired by Terrica's "New Rules Fridays" and "Why you won't hire us" posts, except that I have tweaked it to apply to Bridal Shows. Monica over at The White Box is doing a sister post with me today, so be sure to check hers out too.

In the month of January I have already attended three bridal shows. In the past three years that number is much higher, as I attended as a maid of honor for my sister's wedding and then as a bride myself. But this year, I got to attend as a vendor (who didn't have a booth) and really look critically at was was going on. Since I'm newer to the local industry, I went largely unrecognized by most vendors. So they approached me like they would any bride until I stopped their pitch short to mention I am a photographer (I did not pretend to be a bride, nor did I promote myself to the brides present). How they reacted after that was a mixed bag (and the subject of another post possibly). But the point is I got to walk thru the shows as a bride would see them, except with the experience of having already been married and a perspective from the other side as a vendor myself. What I found was very interesting. And very appalling. I took pictures of the most laughable stuff, but I just don't have the heart to post them. Sorry.

Seriously, do brides want to be pandered to in this way? I don't know why I wasn't more offended as a bride, but I was certainly offended as vendor for my brides. Seriously, there has got to be a better way to showcase local vendors without insulting the intelligence of every area bride. Mind you, there were fabulous booths and vendors at each show and they did a wonderful job of treating the show like it was a great opportunity to get exposure, meet new clients and show off their creativity and professionalism. It is not those people who I am talking about. I just don't think a lot of vendors give brides enough credit. What follows is a combination of many observations over the years, written from the perspective of a bride. Please if you have any "New Rules for Bridal Shows" you would like to add, please leave them in the comment box!


So, For the Vendors:

1. Do not hawk to me like you are a cell-phone salesperson in the mall. I don't like it there, and it certainly isn't going to make me want to hire you for my wedding. If I am interested in your booth, I will come over and talk to you - I promise.

2. Sticking your arm out to put your brochure in my face will likely get an equally adverse reaction. Approach me, introduce yourself, even ask if I am looking for xxxx type of vendor. But come on, shoving a brochure in front of me?

3. Stop hiding your pricing! Brides and their entourages come to these events not only to meet the vendors but also to gather all the pricing research they can. When I see you go into your secret vault behind the tiny table in the back corner, scan your retinas and chant a series of secret passwords before you can hand me any significant information, my opinion only starts to sink. What are you hiding? Are you afraid that some one else in your field will find out how much you are or aren't charging? Do you not want potential clients to know how much you charge for your services? Why not? Stand behind your prices proudly people! This should not be secret information. If you aren't confident your pricing is good, then you need to work on it some more.

4. The flip side of number three - I came here to meet you, get a feel for your personality, hear what you offer in a wedding experience. Do not hand me your pricing and then walk away or turn to the next bride. If that was all I wanted, and all you wanted to offer me by coming to this show, then skip the show and put it on your website.

5. Please, please, please do not serve seafood at your booth - I can smell you two aisles away - and it isn't a "OOOooo, I wonder who belongs to the smell?" reaction, it is a "Ugh! >gag< ::covering my nose:: Where is that smell coming from?" reaction.

6. Your somewhat covert glances at my ring to see what "level" bride I am are absolutely noticed by me and are offensive. I could have a 100,000 budget and have been given a sentimental heirloom ring for my engagement. Or I could be on a shoestring budget and my fiance thought it prudent to take out a 30,000 line of credit to buy me a whopper of a ring. It just isn't a good barometer.

7. A partial continuation of number four - Be personable. Seriously, you paid $$$ bucks to have a booth, spent even more on the booth setup and marketing materials and gave up your entire weekend to stand in said booth, and when I approach you and am interested you have nothing to say?

8. Yes, I will assume that if you are dressed sloppily here at the show that you will do the same for my wedding day.

9. Rest assured that if you are ignoring my presence in your booth and all of my ways to look obviously interested because you are in a fascinating conversation with the vendor next door - I will not be hiring you -- or that other vendor. And I will probably tell all my bride friends about how snobby you were too.

10. I will not be buying the lingerie for my big day here today, no matter how fabulous your model looks in it. And no, I don't want to touch it, and please do not hold it up to my body. That is all I'm going to say about that.

11. No, I will not be handing over my most prized possession - my engagement ring - to you so that you can drop it into your organic, chemical -free green goo to make it "sparkle". Next booth please.

12. No, I do not want to step behind the flimsy curtain you have duct-taped up in the corner of your booth and try on that dress. I did not shave appropriately, nor wear the right type of undergarment for testing dresses today and would prefer not to expose such things to half of greater Milwaukee. If I like the dress, I promise I will come into your store and try it on.

13. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT follow me into a limo or bus and close the door behind you, especially if you are a male. It is creepy and scary. I am happy to look at said vehicle with whomever else would also like to step on board after me. I do not need a private tour.

14. If your booth looks like it was recycled from your teenager's high school play I am not going to be impressed.

15. I have come to your booth, expressed interest in your product/service, mentioned that I have seen it elsewhere at a friends wedding and heard many good things about you. Yet you continue to smile at me with a vapid expression, stand between me and your samples so that I can not look at them and then you dismiss me and pull a new bride out of the aisle to talk with. This one I just don't get.


To THOSE WHO PLAN THE SHOWS:

1.The Bride sticker has got to go. It is like a giant beacon to vendors to attack. DJs in particular are excellent at sniffing this out. Why can't brides walk the ballroom floor without this annoying label emblazoned on their shoulder? Have you ever noticed how many vendors will only look for the sticker and only talk to the labeled "brides"? If they have brought someone with them, they are probably worth addressing as well, as the bride values their opinion and impressions.

2. Edit your vendors. Not saying you have to be exclusive - but did you know that the "free vacation contest" in that booth over there is really just a way to get a mailing list for credit card offers and condo time shares? Don't be so greedy that you are letting just everyone into the show.

3. Balance your vendors. As a bride, I want to be able to come to the show and get information I am looking for. That will be different for all brides, each will have different types of vendors they are looking for. Having 10 photographers and just one or two of every other category is not only annoying to the brides, but to the vendors as well.

4. Don't allow your vendors to pack up early. No lie, Monica and I sat down to take in the fashion show at a bridal show this weekend and after being told by the MC of the fabulous vendors that contributed to the show and that we should go check out their booths at the end of the show, we got up to do so only to find "each and every" booth in the place half dismantled and packing up. The show wasn't scheduled to be over for a good twenty minutes.

5. Think about the music you are playing during the fashion show - it is great to showcase a local DJ, but when "Sexy Back" and "Let's Get it on" comes on, and I have to cover my five year old niece's ears, I'm not pleased.

6. Have a coat check. Every single one of these shows is in the dead of winter. We arrive, pay our $8 to get in, are labeled with a sticker, handed a shopping bag and several publications to carry around and inevitably have our coats on our arms. This leaves no hands free to collect vendor's materials, shake a hand or much less try the sample cake. I will gladly pay a dollar or two to the coat check guy - please make him available.

7. Have someone at the entrance to the show who knows what is going on. "nuff said.



Just imagine if all of the wedding vendors out there stepped it up a notch. Every wedding would benefit and the class level for all would be higher. Hmmmm......

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG. This is so Swoon Worthy. I am sending this to my staff right now for our upcoming show!

2 Snaps, girlfriends!

Katy said...

I just went to one on Saturday. I left feeling a little depressed that it was a total bust. This post nailed it on the head! I really hope that they take note and fix everything you just mentioned!

jae' said...

My husband and I are photographers and sorta did the exact same thing as you. We were very disappointed with how aggressive the vendors were. Is it necessary for a vendor with 3 booth spaces to have 4 people approach you with the same info. They just heard you tell the other person NO THANKS!!! We will be in our first Bridal Show February 10th. Thanks for the tips

Tasha said...

The pricing one drives me NUTS! I got home and looked through my bag and found that through all that info I got, there are still vendors that I don't have pricing from. What is the point of this? To make us brides want your services SO much that we'll pay whatever you want when we book you? I'm sorry, but that's not happening.

I'd rather get all the pricing up front. It wastes much less time for both me and the vendor. I know if it's out of my budget, and the vendor doesn't have to waste their time and money talking to me and handing me brochures. Why is this so difficult?