I'm mthree. Those are my initials. Always have been, and thanks to a hubby with a "M" last name; always will be.

I've been a designer for over ten years, I was an animator and a filmmaker once, I was a bride before I was a photographer, I'm a new business owner, but I've always been an artist.

You can get a glimpse of where I've been, a better look at where I am and a peek at where I'm going right here.



You gotta S -T-R-E-T-C-H your browser window to see the BIG pictures...



Thursday, October 18, 2007

Design Review

As a designer and an artist, I have been known to get a little more than giddy about a well designed wedding. As a photographer, the weddings that fall into that category are aboslute eye candy. I'm still editing all the pictures from Devon & Chris's wedding last weekend, but I thought I would do a little review of the look they pulled together because it was fabulous.
Devon truly has a real eye and edited to perfection all of the elements.
The church was all cream and chocolate brown wood with a green velvet seat in the pews (and amazing big green doors) and the reception location (the Milwaukee Yacht Club) was beautifully contemporary with great light, three walls of windows and all medium brown and cream tones. I can only assume Devon took all of this in when she designed the color scheme of her wedding, because it all worked so well. She had ivory and chocolate brown taking center stage with touches of pale green, and then for a surprising twist at the reception - touches of orange and a hint of blue to bring in the lake. All in all, it was a beautiful, simple and clean backdrop for their day.
Oh yes, and mad props to the floral designerJulie at Grande Flowers - she did an amazing job on all components.
Here are some of the details:

These tall vases held branches wired with individual roses that were a pale yellow/green color. The look was wonderfully modern and also so pretty. There were four of these at the altar (two on each side) that were then reused at the reception.

I giggled with glee when I saw the tables at the reception. A beautiful use of linens (and a less expensive option as well) with the smaller chocolate colored squares over the proubably provided white linens and chocolate colored napkins. The plates also coordinated (ask what your plates and service will look like girls! It could ruin your whole setup - sometimes they are not neutral.) The fabulous favors were beautifully and simply packaged and helped to decorate the tables allowing for a smaller centerpiece to be more than enough. The centerpieces were small fishbowls with three of the yellow/green roses in bright blue marbles. The marbles were internally lit by a hidden light. I know the blue seems like an odd choice, but I will say that it really did work. The light from the windows as the sun went down was the same shade of blue and it was a great little pop of color that tied in the lake. I would have never thought of this.

Here you see the lit up version of these centerpieces on the bar (with just one rose) and the blue light I'm talking about.


The favors were wonderful. I've seen these done before, they are a Martha Stewart classic, and so easy. Stacked sugar cookies to resemble wedding cakes housed in clear boxes with a simple ribbon. There were many "oohs" and "ahhs" over these.

The head table had a line of the rose centerpieces with orange roses, and the cake brought the two rose colors together. You also get a peek at the simply elegant placecards and menu cards here.




Devon (and her Maid of Honor's) bouquet was a collection of cream and pale green/yellow roses hand tied and accented with a brown wrap with pearl pins.

Beautiful job Devon and Chris! I think this wedding is a great example of what careful consideration, diligence, and attention to detail can do. It doesn't have to be about having the money to spend. Every bride is capable of this - it just takes effort and organization.

3 comments:

Darci said...

Wow, you're right, very well done!

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I'm getting good ideas here...

Monica said...

Yay!! Great ideas. Gorgeous and totally achievable.