I'm mthree. Those are my initials. Always have been, and thanks to a hubby with a "M" last name; always will be.

I've been a designer for over ten years, I was an animator and a filmmaker once, I was a bride before I was a photographer, I'm a new business owner, but I've always been an artist.

You can get a glimpse of where I've been, a better look at where I am and a peek at where I'm going right here.



You gotta S -T-R-E-T-C-H your browser window to see the BIG pictures...



Monday, June 30, 2008

Miscellaneous Monday

Fireworks season is upon us, it is four days before the Fourth of July and Hubby is... at home sleeping? What is wrong with this picture? Usually at this point is he running on about four hours of napping caught at his desk between 4am and 8am. Things have either been a little slow this year or hubby has managed to be ultra-prepared at the store, allowing him to be home for an *almost* full night's rest. (I'm banking on a little bit of both of these things) I'm not complaining, it is nice having him next to me at some point during the night instead of sleeping alone. But sadly, I know he would trade a few days of that for some ultra-business at the Fireworks store. So go get your fireworks people and make my Hubby smile! Of course, make sure you go to his store - the big yellow building on Hwy G and I-94.

---

Ringo is getting "fixed" today. I admit, I cried on the way home after dropping him off. I just feel horrible leaving him at the vet's office all alone. He doesn't know anyone there...and he doesn't understand what is going on or why I left him.... okay, I can't talk about it. Four o'clock can't come fast enough today so I can call and find out how is doing.

---

My Sister in Law invited me to go check out her new apartment in Milwaukee yesterday. Thanks to three engagement shoots in Madison being rescheduled due to weather, I was able to go. Hubby and I are both looking forward to August when she will be up here in the area full-time, though it will also be kind of different, we have been so accustomed to her being a hour and a half away for the past six years. Welcome back, Karen!

---

I have found THE shoes. As a photographer, I spend all day on my feet. And being a stubborn German, I insist on wearing heels and looking cute doing it. I like to look like a guest at weddings and blend in. I worked in a "upscale" shoe store in college and have spoiled my feet ever since with shoes by Naot, Josef Siebel, Clarks, etc. The price tag doesn't scare me because I am still wearing most of them now, six years later, and they are only starting to wear out. And using the Standard Women's Fashion investment Rule, if you divide $150 (average price of my chosen shoes) by the number of years I have worn them (6), that means they only cost $25 and that is a huge bargain! I can walk all day in those shoes and not have any pain. Only problem is, companies that make shoes that comfortable tend to stay away from heels, and 3/4 of their designs I would never consider (most comfortable shoes are, well, ugly). Finding a comfortable pair of heels I can shoot in all day has been a challenge. Short of investing in some $500 Cole Haans or even more staggering Christian Laboutins, I have been wearing regular heels until dancing starts and then switching to flats and dealing with the consequences. In a moment of desperation on Friday night I went to Stan's Fit for your Feet. There wasn't a ton to choose from in my "cute, dressy, with heels" category, I'm not going to mislead you. But I did find these by Beautifeel:

(please ignore my chipped pedicure and what is supposed to be my ankle looking broken)
They aren't going to get me on any Best Dressed lists, but I will tell you this: After fourteen hours at a wedding, my feet did not hurt even one teensy bit. In fact, it felt like I was wearing tennis shoes all day, only better. And as my old boss used to say, if your feet feel good, then you feel good. So true. Looking at their website this morning I see many cuter options, and they even have a bridal section. If I could have saved my feet from the bruising they endured on my wedding day in the name of fashion...

---

Saturday is the Tom Petty concert - I can. not. wait. Though I do wish I could squeeze a trip in to Summerfest before then. I hope all of you get a chance to check it out this week. For my blog readers that don't live in Wisconsin, Summerfest is the World's Largest Music Festival (no joke) and runs for 11 days straight with constant music on something like 15 stages and all the amazing food and beer you can consume. It is also the best people watching you will ever see in your life.

---

I'm hoping my readers can help me solve this little conundrum. I provide these cute little cards at weddings that are personalized with a photo of the couple and info on how to view their wedding images:

Usually, we put these at the guestbook table. I don't put up a sign or my own business cards and it is all cleared with the couple ahead of time. However, very few people take the little cards. Why is this? Do you not care to see the pictures from the wedding (possibly some of yourself)? Do you think that they are business cards and so you recoil in horror? Advise me on this please because I'm not loving spending the money on the cards only to have them still sitting there, mostly untouched at the end of the night. Would it help if they were in a little box with a sign that said something to the effect of "To see photos from this wedding take a instruction card" ? When you are a guest, what is your perception? Or, have you seen something that works in this area?

---

Have a Happy Monday!

8 comments:

Claire said...

Promise you'll sing "oh my my, oh *** yes, you got to put on that party dress" extra loud just for me...lots of memories in that song...lots. :)

As far as the card thing, it's something I've never even seen down here, although my BFF Leda in Michigan has done it once before. She says it was requested by the bride for her to do it, the bride provided her with labels to put on the back of her business cards, and then they were placed at each guests place settings at the reception. I personally can't imagine someone seeing your cards and mistaking them for business cards. I think you are right, the box with the sign would help, or perhaps a different location, like the the tables the guests sit out...hmmm. IDK, but hope you find a way to do it where they get utilized. How disappointing!

Molly said...

Claire- Oh, that is a given, we will be singing that one, without question! One of my absolute favorites!

I really don't want to put them on the guest tables - sorry to anyone who does that or has done it by request, but I think it is kind of tacky. I'm trying to let the guests know they can see the pictures without making it look like I'm promoting my business. Hmmm....

Darci said...

I've seen the picture cards before, and was always happy to take one and have the info about where to find the pictures. I think they're a great idea! I guess I can see how people think that they're business cards...a sign seems like a good idea. Maybe on the favor table if there is one? Something like "Want to see the pictures from this beautiful day? Take a card below." You're really doing them a service, plus obviously getting people to check out your work. It seems like a win-win to me!

Kelly said...

I don't know why people wouldn't take those cards! I have never seen that at a wedding, but I would definitely take advantage of it if I was a guest.

I guess putting them in a box with a sign is the best way to get the message across. People probably do think they are business cards.

Carrie said...

I've seen similar cards at a wedding I attended in PA. There was a little table with an 8x10 framed photo taken of the bride and groom that day (speedy photographer!) as well as a small sign that said something about how you could take a card to find out how to see photos from the day.

I love the idea, both as a photographer and as a guest. And I think a classy looking little sign that provides specific info about the cards could only help.

jenn said...

Hope Ringo is feeling little more like himself now!

I'm not a huge Petty fan, but I have heard once you go to a concert, you're hooked. Hope you have a blast!

carolyn said...

I have attended several weddings where the cards were placed on each table in a small arrangement. I never thought the photographer was promoting their business. Instead I was happy to know where to see the photos.

Unknown said...

I definitely thought they were business cards when I saw them at a wedding for the first time a couple months ago, and I suspect other guests thought the same. A small sign would be helpful.