I'm mthree. Those are my initials. Always have been, and thanks to a hubby with a "M" last name; always will be.

I've been a designer for over ten years, I was an animator and a filmmaker once, I was a bride before I was a photographer, I'm a new business owner, but I've always been an artist.

You can get a glimpse of where I've been, a better look at where I am and a peek at where I'm going right here.



You gotta S -T-R-E-T-C-H your browser window to see the BIG pictures...



Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Grandpa's Camera



I think I've established before that I'm a bit old school with my personal work. I shot my thesis film entirely in an old 35mm film camera on a home-made motion control rig and cut it all on a flatbed - not the computer. I have a degree in printmaking, specializing in intaglio - a process that has been around for hundreds upon hundreds of years. I once got a grant to do a wood engraving project - remember Durer from your art history class - that would be his process. So it is no surprise that when my parents found my grandfather's old film camera I got a little excited.

My grandpa was a photographer - not as a profession, but as a very active hobby. I remember being scared of the darkroom in their basement as a little kid. They also had a bowling alley down there - so pretty cool grandparents, right? I didn't develop my interest in photography until after he passed, but I know he is pleased to see me working in it.

Anyway, we found this old camera and I'm itching to learn how to use it. I'm completely thrown by the fact that when you pop up the top and look in the viewfinder everything is backwards. I have absolutely no intention of cleaning it - at least at first. I love the patina that dirt, time and history leave on something like this, so I want to shoot some without taking that off. I'm putting this up on the blog because I have no idea where to start finding info on this camera besides a google search. If anyone out there can point me to some good resources, I would greatly appreciate it. Better yet, if anyone out there knows how to use a camera like this and has one of their own - I'd be more than happy to do a photo fieldtrip and learn from you!
And no, it's not for sale, so don't even ask.

I've taken some fun pics of the camera and all the parts that were in the box - including this super space-age flash and the cutest little telephoto lens ever. As you can see, my obsession with my 50mm lens and shooting wide open continues...





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.