I'm mthree. Those are my initials. Always have been, and thanks to a hubby with a "M" last name; always will be.

I've been a designer for over ten years, I was an animator and a filmmaker once, I was a bride before I was a photographer, I'm a new business owner, but I've always been an artist.

You can get a glimpse of where I've been, a better look at where I am and a peek at where I'm going right here.



You gotta S -T-R-E-T-C-H your browser window to see the BIG pictures...



Wednesday, September 19, 2007

What you can do (Part 1)

This will be the first of many posts about what you can do to make your wedding day photography better.
"Wait, I thought that is why we were hiring you?" You say? Of course - and me and my eye and my lenses will do everything in our power to make your day look as beautiful as possible. But there are many things that Brides and Grooms can do to improve their pictures that I have no control over really.

Number One - Getting Ready Pictures

The coveted and beautiful "getting ready" pictures have become some of the most popular pictures from the day. It is hard not to catch the anticipation in the lens. So, what could you do as a bride or groom to improve the chances you will have getting ready pictures worth coveting?

1. Choose a space to get ready in that is well lit.
Light is the most important tool a photographer has. If at all possible, choose a room with lots of natural light. That means windows people. Windows with somewhat transparent curtains are even better - the curtains filter and diffuse the light, making it softer and more flattering. Put us in a windowless room with flourescent lights and you can expect some underwhelming results. Give me a room with natural light and I will knock your socks off.

2. Keep the space uncluttered and clean.
Seems simple, but all those target and walgreens bags, shoeboxes, soda cans and candy wrappers really do distract from the emotions in an image and de-class your pictures. Mention to one of your attendants that you only want wedding related stuff out. They can keep tabs then on stashing trash, hiding things under chairs or beds, etc. Shoes (but not boxes), dresses hanging off of furniture or curtain rods, jewelry laying out on the desk or dresser, etc. This all looks beautiful in pictures and adds to the story. Oh yes, and make the bed.

3.Hang your dress on a nice hanger on display.
Nothing is more distracting than a gorgeous shot of your dress (lit beautifully by all that natural light you gave me) and noticing that is hanging on a goofy plastic hanger. This is your wedding dress - give it the royal treatment! Take it out of the bag, put it on a padded hanger or something.

4. Put out your "stuff".
Lay out your jewelry, perfume, garter, cufflinks, vows, bowtie, funny socks, grandma's hanky, whatever the details are. That way when I arrive I can get some nice detail shots of your "stuff" without bugging you for it and taking away from this special time. Your interaction should be with your attendants and the rest of your close people, and as little with me as possible.

5. Trust Me.
I won't take any pictures of you (or anyone else for that matter) that show more than a swimsuit would. Most of the time, any picture I take shows much less. So just enjoy your moments, forget I'm there and have fun getting ready.

2 comments:

Monica said...

Molly- GREAT idea for a post series! I wish I would have had you around when I got married. Those are all really good points that you never seen in magazines or on theKnot. :-)

Molly said...

Monica- Your series on "don't let this happen to you" inspired me!