I'm mthree. Those are my initials. Always have been, and thanks to a hubby with a "M" last name; always will be.

I've been a designer for over ten years, I was an animator and a filmmaker once, I was a bride before I was a photographer, I'm a new business owner, but I've always been an artist.

You can get a glimpse of where I've been, a better look at where I am and a peek at where I'm going right here.



You gotta S -T-R-E-T-C-H your browser window to see the BIG pictures...



Wednesday, December 19, 2007

My Favorite Things...

Only five shopping days left 'till Christmas. I'm almost done, just stocking stuffers for hubby and two other gifts left. Jamie and I are going shopping this afternoon, so with any luck I'll be done by tonight.

I love Oprah's annual "My Favorite Things" show, though I loathe the way the audience freaks out and seems so greedy. Regardless, I thought I would do my own "Favorite Things" list, and you dear readers, get to enjoy it. These are all things I use everyday and love to death, or at least just things I love to death. If I had the budget, I would buy them in abundance and give them to everyone I know this Christmas just like Oprah (well, when appropriate - I don't think the guys would like the makeup).

Caudelie Sauvignon Scrub $35


Caudelie Sauvignon Scrub is so amazing. I first got a sample tube from Sephora and tried it out to amazing results. After just one scrubbing, your skin is so amazingly soft, you will think you had a micropeel. It isn't terribly inexpensive, but it lasts a long time and a little goes a long way. The label claims that it infuses your skin with antioxidants from crushed grape seeds - whatever, it works. I've been using it every morning during my thirty in thirty plan and my skin has never looked better.

Bare Escentuals Makeup $25


Bare Escentuals Makeup is my secret weapon. When I turned 24 my skin totally freaked out - suddenly I had acne and I was allergic to everything I tried. This makeup is free from the preservatives (read formaldahyde) that is in just about every other makeup and is safe enough to sleep in. It covers beautifully and holds up even in the heat - I have been loving this stuff for at least five years now. And Dad, hint, hint - if you still need a gift for mom, she really wants a starter kit of this stuff.

Silver Plated Rolodex $49


The Silver Plated Rolodex from Pottery Barn adds instant chic to any desk. I'm old school, I like to keep people's business cards - I don't have an electronic address book. This looks great, accomodates my goofy filing system for cards that only I understand and has a retro feel to it.

The Coach 6x8 Agenda $218


The Coach 6x8 Agenda is my little organizing companion. A gift from my brother a few years ago, I have faithfully used this to keep track of appointments, make endless notes and lists and even plan my wedding. It is just large enough that I don't feel like I'm writing in miniature and small enough to tuck into my purse. I have an electronic calendar on my computer and I use that faithfully as well, but I get a small joy out of syncing the written one in this little book up with the digital one.

F.Y....eye by Benefit $22


F.Y.eye by Benefit totally rocks. It is an eyeshadow base that actually works. Seriously, my shadow never migrates or looses its grip thanks to this stuff. Everyone I have recommended it to loves it.

Mac ProCare $99


The secret to keeping my laptop running and therefore my business too, is my ProCare membership . The sleek little black card in my wallet gets me to the front of the line everytime I go in the apple store, getting my questions answered lickety split. Anytime I need a repair or maintenance done on my equipment, my machine jumps to the front of the line too when I flash this little card. It also comes with yearly tune-up, consultations on back-up systems, advanced reservations at the genius bar, and complete set up of any new system. It also gives you access to apple training. If you have a Mac user or lover in your life - get them this membership, they will love it!

Xacto Board Cutter $10


I've cut thousands of things over the years, and I've tried just about every tool out there. The right tool makes all the difference and Iove this cutter so much I own four of them. I can trim invitations for hours with this thing without cramping up my hand. It's design makes precise cutting so intuitive, it is hard to make a mistake.
If you have a bride in your life or a scrapbooker - this is the perfect stocking stuffer.

O&H Danish Kringle
3 months of Kringle Club $59.95


Okay, I confess, I don't actually like Kringle (I have a thing against fruit filling). But if you are in Wisconsin, you have proubably sampled the wonder that is Danish Kringle from Racine . As a Racine native, I can testify that the best comes from O&H bakery (not the stuff you see in the grocery store) and is to die for. I have lived in several parts of the country, and each time when I introduced them to this stuff, they went nuts. When I lived in L.A., I actually paid the composer on my thesis film in Kringle from O&H. This would be a great gift for just about anyone.

Gregory Maguire Novels


If you've heard of the stage show "Wicked" you've heard of Gregory Maguire. I still haven't seen the show, but if it is half as good as the book, then it is fantastic. All of his books are in fact. He takes the fairy tales we all grew up with and looks at them from an adult perspective, weaving tales of intrigue and peppering them with just enough references to the version you are familiar with to keep you fascinated. Each time I start to read one of his books I have a hard time putting it down. He has written five in all I think, only one of which is pictured above. This is one gift I did buy for someone on my list this year.


What kind of photographer would I be if I didn't mention that a photo session with Mthree Studio would make a great gift for just about anyone on your list. See below for a previous post on my Holiday Special. A few of you have already taken advantage of this - even one bride who is thinking of using it to buy herself a Trash the Dress session. Really, it can't be beat!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny...right around when I turned 24 my skin starting really sucking too. Irritated by everything, breaking out (something I never really did as a teenager), red splotches...I'm about 95% positive my FMIL got me bare minerals for Christmas because I've been dying to try it.

I hope it works!

I also have a thing against fruit filling.