I'm mthree. Those are my initials. Always have been, and thanks to a hubby with a "M" last name; always will be.

I've been a designer for over ten years, I was an animator and a filmmaker once, I was a bride before I was a photographer, I'm a new business owner, but I've always been an artist.

You can get a glimpse of where I've been, a better look at where I am and a peek at where I'm going right here.



You gotta S -T-R-E-T-C-H your browser window to see the BIG pictures...



Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Miscellaneous Monday...On Island Time

Island Time... yep, that is correct. Last night Hubby and I returned to the frozen tundra of Wisconsin fresh from six days in Jamaica. We were there to shoot Tony & Deb's wedding, and we built in a few days before and after the wedding for some relaxation in the sun. So please forgive my absence yesterday, today I'm making up for it with my list of:

Things we learned in Jamaica:

-It takes two stressed-out entrepeneur types a full two days to figure out how to "relax on the beach and do nothing".

-It takes us two more days to get restless and not be able to do that anymore.

-Just about every sentence can be ended with the phrase "Yeah Mon". And it is.

-Strawberry Daquiris with Jamaican Rum are goooood. Very goooood.
(So good that your hard-liquor devotee husband will find an exclusive, all encompasing love for them)

-Weddings at an all-inclusive resort are a breed unto themselves.

-Driving on the left side of the road, even riding on the left side of the road, is super strange. You constantly feel like you are going to get in an accident when your driver makes a turn.

-Police in Jamaica carry machine guns. Not rifles or pistols, machine guns.

-Hubby is not a fan of dried sand on his feet.

-Hubby's version of swimming is actually just floating in five foot deep water.

-Salt water makes you sticky. What it does to camera equipment I can not even describe.

-There are not as many tramp stamps out there as you would expect.

-Landscapers in Jamaica use a machete to trim the bushes.

-You can't go scuba diving the same day that you are getting on a plane.

-It is all too easy to adapt to opening up your door and walking right out onto the beach and seeing the Caribbean sea in front of you. All too easy.

-The Jamaican airport security has never seen a camera lens before. And furthermore, they are convinced that if they peer into it just right, they will find drugs.

-Apparently, I am a "princess". Of course, so was every other female that the "get happy" men tried to attract on the beach.

-They have American TV down there.

-Some Europeans will go topless anywhere.

-The milk in Jamaica is horrible. The water however, is fine.

-Spending several days with your clients and their families totally rocks.

-Your pedicure doesn't stand a chance.

-Flip-flops are a necessity.

-I need to own more than one swimsuit.

-Life vests are soooo not a good look on Hubby or myself.

-There is a bird that is capable of making a constant, reliable sound that emulates a slightly - out of whack grocery cart.
Said bird can make this sound all night long.

-Wedding receptions are not ruined by rain.

-Jamaicans are exceedingly proud of two things to a level you can not even imagine: Bob Marley and the Jamaican Bobsled
team.

-Just about any song can be re-recorded as a Jamaican sounding song. And they do.

-Shooting a wedding in another country is such a blessing and such a delight. I hope I get to do more destination weddings
in the future!

I have many more pictures and stories to tell, but I'm going to save it for later posts. To tide you over, I have one picture - a stitched together pan of what it looked like from my beach chair on Sunday. (You might have to stretch your browser or click on the image to see the full thing).




Have a great week. I'll be working like mad to get all of 2008's weddings edited and posted before the Holidays so stay tuned!

3 comments:

Spottswood Photography said...

OMG!!! You are so lucky to be there right now. The weather here is awful!

Hey, who did you book your trip through? Apple, funjet? Let us know we are trying to plan a similar trip for ourselves this Jan.


Love,
Sarah

Monica said...

Look at your cute little toes! :-D

Claire said...

Niiiiice! What a lucky duck!

P.S., Mine and your hubby's definition of swimming is pretty much the same. Except I prefer the water a bit shallower.